[ic] Movin on to question #962642: interch user... :)

Jon Jensen interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed May 14 10:09:01 2003

On Wed, 14 May 2003, Mark Bryant wrote:

> Nothing should be owned by root for IC and I'm unsure why you're taking
> this approach. If you have RH7.2 why are you not using the rpm installers
> as they will setup all the files/folders with the correct ownership and
> perms? Put it this way they worked fine for me on my RH installation :o)

Actually, the standard Interchange RPMs do install a fair number of files
and directories owned by root. For example, /etc/interchange.cfg, and the
admin in /usr/lib/interchange/lib/UI. They're readable but not writable by
user interch, which gives them some measure of protection against
malicious acts by user interch. This is by no means necessary, but just
another layer of protection.

Jon