[ic] Movin on to question #962642: interch user... :)

Mark Bryant interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Wed May 14 10:12:01 2003

At 14:54 14/05/2003, you wrote:
>At 20:22 13/05/2003, you wrote:
>> > # Create interch user/group if they don't already exist
>> >
>> > /usr/sbin/groupadd -g 52 interch 2>/dev/null
>> >
>> > /usr/sbin/useradd -u 52 -g interch -c "Interchange server" -s /bin/bash -r
>> > -d /var/lib/interchange interch 2>/dev/null
>> >
>>Mark, thanks for this, I appreciate your help.
>>
>>Why 52?
>>Can I just do /usr/sbin/groupadd -r interch ? (Red Hat 7.2)
>
>I lifted those lines from the scripts in the rpm installer for IC
>
>If you want it to have a group number higher than 100 then leave out the
>-g 52.
>
>I understand that UID/GIDs below 100 are considered to be system accounts
>rather than normal user account on RH Linux. I would consider the IC user
>to be a system account hence why 52 :o)
>

>>How is this going to allow me to write to directories and files that were
>>created by root?
>>Thanks!
>>Enrique
>
>Nothing should be owned by root for IC and I'm unsure why you're taking
>this approach. If you have RH7.2 why are you not using the rpm installers
>as they will setup all the files/folders with the correct ownership and
>perms? Put it this way they worked fine for me on my RH installation :o)
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Mark

Oops a minor typo there , I meant 400 not 100 in the lines above.

I also understand from "man groupadd" that the -r switch tells groupadd to
allocate the first GID available for a system account. I guess there's no
reason why you shouldn't do it  with -r, unless you don't mind risking
blocking/using a potential GID that would want to be used by another bit of
software you've not installed/used yet, but why break with convention? *grin*

Mark