[ic] OT: Alternatives to Red Hat

dhenao at tampabay.rr.com dhenao at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Nov 5 13:36:01 EST 2003

Well,

I will say that in terms of stability, Slackware is the best ever. I love Slackware, but it doesn't mean that I don't accept its weaknesses. Slackware is really hard to update, and you will run into many problems with it when you update your system. I don't know anything about Slack after 8.0, but I have been using Red Hat, and if your concerns are focused on the updating process of your system, RHN is a really big help. You can have one demo account, and it is free. Finally, I have a box P4 512 MB of memory, 40 gigabytes running a demo store for 300 people using Red Hat. The only time that I have reboot the machine is when I need to apply the updates from RHN. Efficiency is fine. It is faster than the ISS they have here for the intranet web site. About Debian it worked with it a couple of times, and I will say that is really good, and it is far away from Slackware in terms of updating packages.

I hope this will help you.
Diego