[ic] Vertical Category List Question

Ryan Grace ryan at ryangrace.com
Wed Nov 12 16:22:45 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Hostmaster wrote:

> > > Because I am hyperlinking the Product Group headings, I'm having
> difficulty
> > > understanding how to make them Bold Text, since they are being
> controlled by
> > > the same .class as the categories in the __THEME_CSS__ , as shown below:
> > > }
> > >
> > > A.barlink:link, A.barlink:active, A.barlink:visited {
> > >   color: __CATEGORYBAR_LINK__;
> > >   font-family: __CATEGORYBAR_FONT__;
> > >   font-weight: __CATEGORYBAR_WEIGHT__;
> > >   text-decoration: __CATEGORYBAR_LINKDECO__;
> > >   font-size: __CATEGORYBAR_FONTSIZE__;
> > > }
> > >
> > > A.barlink:hover {
> > >   color: __CATEGORYBAR_LINKHOVER__;
> > >   font-family: __CATEGORYBAR_FONT__;
> > >   font-weight: __CATEGORYBAR_WEIGHT__;
> > >   text-decoration: __CATEGORYBAR_HOVERDECO__;
> > >   font-size: __CATEGORYBAR_FONTSIZE__;
> > > }
> > >

> > I think if you change the CATEGORYBAR_WEIGHT variable to something like
> 'bold' that should do it.  Check a CSS reference on the web for details on
> the font-weight CSS directive.  You could also remove the
> __CATEGORYBAR_WEIGHT__ reference in those two styles and replace it with
> "bold" to avoid unintended bolding elsewhere.
> >
> > Ryan
>
> Hello Ryan.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried that before I asked this
> question.  What I realized afterward is that the __CATEGORYBAR_WEIGHT__
> variable is overridden by the "A.barlink:link, A.barlink:active,
> A.barlink:visited".  Changing the CATEGORYBAR_WEIGHT variable here affects
> both the Product Group and the Category under it.  What I'm hoping to
> achieve is to get the Product Group to stand out in bold for better visual
> navigation.
>
> I was hoping to simply add an inline style tag to the TD in which the
> Product Group is found, but it seems the Product Group is not isolated from
> the Category Heading in the TD.

Well, it's not really the same thing, but here's how I modified by category_vertical to use an unordered list for the categories under each prod_group heading:

This is from my modified category_vertical

      <ul class="vertcatlist">
[set found_cat]1[/set]
[loop prefix=cat
        search="
                fi=cat
                st=db
                tf=sort
                tf=name
                rf=code,name
                sf=sel
                se=[box-code]
        "
        ]
      <li>[cat-exec bar_link]cat[/cat-exec]</li>
[/loop]
      </li>

Then for the vertcatlist style I defined:

.vertcatlist {
  list-style-image: url(/plazad/images/star_small.gif);
}

That used a small star for the bullet image.  So, not exactly the same thing, but maybe helpful?

Ryan