[ic] Vertical Category List Question

Hostmaster hostmaster at zipp.net
Wed Nov 12 21:20:59 EST 2003

> > difficulty
> > controlled by

> > > I think if you change the CATEGORYBAR_WEIGHT variable to something
like
> > 'bold' that should do it.  Check a CSS reference on the web for details
on
> > the font-weight CSS directive.  You could also remove the
> > __CATEGORYBAR_WEIGHT__ reference in those two styles and replace it with
> > "bold" to avoid unintended bolding elsewhere.
> > >
> > > Ryan
> >
> > Hello Ryan.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried that before I asked
this
> > question.  What I realized afterward is that the __CATEGORYBAR_WEIGHT__
> > variable is overridden by the "A.barlink:link, A.barlink:active,
> > A.barlink:visited".  Changing the CATEGORYBAR_WEIGHT variable here
affects
> > both the Product Group and the Category under it.  What I'm hoping to
> > achieve is to get the Product Group to stand out in bold for better
visual
> > navigation.
> >
> > I was hoping to simply add an inline style tag to the TD in which the
> > Product Group is found, but it seems the Product Group is not isolated
from
> > the Category Heading in the TD.
> >

> Well, it's not really the same thing, but here's how I modified by
category_vertical to use an unordered list for the categories under each
prod_group heading:

> This is from my modified category_vertical

>       <ul class="vertcatlist">
> [set found_cat]1[/set]
> [loop prefix=cat
>         search="
>                 fi=cat
>                 st=db
>                 tf=sort
>                 tf=name
>                 rf=code,name
>                 sf=sel
>                 se=[box-code]
>         "
>         ]
>       <li>[cat-exec bar_link]cat[/cat-exec]</li>
> [/loop]
>       </li>
>
> Then for the vertcatlist style I defined:
>
> .vertcatlist {
>   list-style-image: url(/plazad/images/star_small.gif);
> }
>
> That used a small star for the bullet image.  So, not exactly the same
thing, but maybe helpful?

> Ryan
Hello again Ryan... no it's not exactly the same thing, but if it separates
the Product Groups from the Categories, and looks nice (which it sounds like
it will), it's definitely an option worth considering.  I appreciate the
suggestion, and may end up liking it even better than using bold text for
visual assistance in navigation.  Again, my thanks to you for the excellent
alternative suggestion.
Most gratefully,
Michael G.