[ic] IC & URL Structure Help?

Jonathan Clark jonc at webmaint.com
Fri Nov 21 12:02:30 EST 2003

> I am not sure whether this is an IC or an Apache question (or both), I
> use the domain name http://www.tvcables.co.uk which only seems to do a
> simple forward to http://websell.pipex.com/tvcables
>
> What I would really like to do is mask the pipex URL and be able to do
> things like http://www.tvcables.co.uk/SKU.html, at the moment URLs like
> this don't work, they cannot find the page, I have to do
> http://websell.pipex.com/beta-cgi/tvcables/SKU.html which is not so
> nice.
>
> Bearing in mind that my IC install is controlled by Pipex and I have no
> shell access to it, is there anything I can do from the Admin UI or is
> there any other form of name translation / url re-writing I could use
> via an independent host etc.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

My advice is to move away from Pipex if this is what you require (and what
you are trying to do _is_ sensible).

Any sort of optimisation strategy should be based on your own domain and not
someone elses. Won't it be great for all those Pipex Websell customers when
websell.pipex.com/beta-cgi/foo changes to websell.pipex.com/other-cgi/foo or
when one of the shops gets the domain and all shops blacklisted on Google..

Another point - you will fair worse in uk google searches by being on their
.com domain instead of your .co.uk. Mind you.. they are running 4.8 which
won't spider in any case <sigh>.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Clark