[ic] More reliable (or hassle free) alternative to AuthorizeNet?

Ed LaFrance edl at newmediaems.com
Sun Nov 23 08:24:07 EST 2003

At 04:58 PM 11/22/2003 -0600, you wrote:
> > Hostmaster wrote:
> > > So my question:  Can anyone recommend a Payment Gateway other than
> > > AuthorizeNet that works "somewhat effortlessly" with Interchange?
> >
> > We use NetBilling which has no problems for us.  There's a NetBilling
> > module here:
> >
> > http://www.interchange.rtfm.info/downloads/payments/index.html
> >
> > ...as well as several other payment modules available for IC which do
> > not come in the base IC distribution.
> >
> > Also if you want online check support for NetBilling (or you just want a
> > better documented module) then drop me an email and I'll send you the
> > module I use which does support it.
> >
> > Regards, Peter
>
>I'd like to thank those of you who have responded to my question.  I'm still
>investigating.  I've got the catalog in test mode, and the authorize net
>configured to test mode.  I placed an order and get this from Interchange:
>(authorizenet): Charge operation 'authorizenet' failed.
>The areas you need to correct are shown in this color below. |||
>
>There were no errors shown in red on that page, but I didn't expect to see
>them there after all the reading I've done in the docs about this message.
>Checking the logs, I get this:
>
>||| Unknown charge type: authorizenet  |||
>
>My configuration is:
>1) the perl module Net::SSLeay installed
>  2) The line "Require module Vend::Payment::AuthorizeNet" in interchange.cfg
>  3) MV_PAYMENT_MODE set to "authorizenet"
>  4) MV_PAYMENT_ID set to my client's Authorize.Net user ID
>  5) MV_PAYMENT_SECRET set to my client's Authorize.Net password
>
>In fact, I've even configured the alternative variables as well, to see if
>it matters (this is pasted directly from the pref_group=Payment table in the
>UI):
>AUTHNET_ID *client's ID* Payment
>AUTHNET_MODE custom authorizenet Payment
>AUTHNET_REFERER  Payment <==left this blank as recommended in so many posts.
>AUTHNET_SECRET *client's authnet password* Payment
>AUTHNET_SERVER secure.rtware.net/gateway/transact.dll Payment <==this
>address was in the authnet docs
>MV_PAYMENT_ID *client's ID* Payment
>MV_PAYMENT_MODE authorizenet Payment
>MV_PAYMENT_REFERER  Payment <==left this blank as recommended in so many
>posts.
>MV_PAYMENT_SECRET *client's authnet password* Payment
>MV_PAYMENT_SERVER <==left this blank
>
>As I said in a previous post, the third party Authnet rep (rtware.net)
>hasn't had any experience with Interchange, so is relatively useless for
>support.  AuthorizeNet itself has not answered an Email inquiry as of yet,
>but it's only been a couple of weeks.
>
>I've followed the Interchange directions to the letter.  There must be some
>little thing I am overlooking, or something I don't see because it's right
>in front of me  : - ).
>
>The AuthorizeNet merchant account cost over a thousand bucks, which I
>included as part of my design fee.  If I can't get it to work, I'll have to
> [...]

Dear Michael -

Your settings look correct, and for testing purposes the checkout page does
not have to be SSL in order for the card auth to work. I assume you
restarted interchange and did not observe any error messages at that time.

Have you confirmed that there is indeed an AuthorizeNet.pm file in
VENDROOT/lib/Vend/Payment/ ? Has this file been uploaded from a Windows
machine via ftp? The error message you are getting seems to suggest that
interchange cannot find the authorizenet subroutine, which is located in
this file.

On a side note: "The AuthorizeNet merchant account cost over a thousand
bucks..." - ouch! You were robbed. You should have paid no more than $200
for a application fee, and that's it except for monthly fees.

- Ed L.

Fair Oaks, CA  95628          edl at newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (916) 961-0447 Fax