[ic] load balancing

Ed LaFrance edl at newmediaems.com
Thu Nov 27 08:38:54 EST 2003

At 07:25 AM 11/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>well, here is few questions :)
>1- Can i have the main server on one physical server and have my customers
>catalogs on diferent servers physical servers or do I neeed to have
>interchange server on each physical server?

Yes - the INET mode for catalogs along with a few interchange.cfg entries
will allow you to do this.

>2- What is load balancing? and would interchange work with load balancing and
>multiple server?

Sure. :-)

>3- How I can have the userdb shared by all catalogs?
>Any comments, help would be greatly apreciated.

The easiest/best way is to use an external dbms, such as MySQL, and
configure all catalogs to connect to the same db.userdb. I suppose if you
were using the GDBM you could just symlink each additional catalog's
products directory back to the 'original' one, as long as ownerships and
permissions allowed it. But this latter approach is not recommended.

- Ed

Fair Oaks, CA  95628          edl at newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (916) 961-0447 Fax