[ic] Advice needed for IC/eBay API integration

Grant listbox at email.com
Fri Oct 17 13:34:32 EDT 2003

I'm now very close to being finished with the IC/eBay API integration.
eBay's developer testing site was broken for about 10 days or so, but it
started working again a couple days ago and I should be done very soon.  The
integration will consist of something like this:

- 5 UserTags
- 7 jobs files
- 7 jobs directives
- 1 new page
- 1 new variable table entry
- new fields in transactions and inventory tables
- new ebay table
- log_transaction modifications

It will be going up at Kevin Walsh's site ( www.interchange.rtfm.info )
along with detailed info on how it all works and how to use it.  Of course,
I will post here when I have it up.

So I guess that was an update.

Anyway, I'm facing an important decision in the design of the whole thing,
and I'd really appreciate some advice on it.  Basically, I could change
around the way it works and make it quite a bit cleaner and more extensible,
but it would require adding every item listed on eBay as an entry in the new
ebay table.  That could really get to be a lot of entries that aren't being
used for anything unless the item ends up being sold.  Should I:

a) not write every listed item as an entry in the ebay table and sacrifice
some cleanliness and extensibility
b) write every listed item as an entry in the ebay table, but delete each
record that isn't needed after the listing has ended
c) write every listed item as an entry in the ebay table and not worry about
the bloated database

I'm leaning toward b.  If you agree, how can a record be deleted from a
table without going through the UI?

- Grant