[ic] Advice needed for IC/eBay API integration

Paul Jordan paul at gishnetwork.com
Fri Oct 17 16:35:13 EDT 2003

Grant <listbox at email.com> wrote:
> I'm now very close to being finished with the IC/eBay API integration.
> eBay's developer testing site was broken for about 10 days or so, but
> it started working again a couple days ago and I should be done very
> soon.  The integration will consist of something like this:
>
> - 5 UserTags
> - 7 jobs files
> - 7 jobs directives
> - 1 new page
> - 1 new variable table entry
> - new fields in transactions and inventory tables
> - new ebay table
> - log_transaction modifications
>
> It will be going up at Kevin Walsh's site ( www.interchange.rtfm.info
> ) along with detailed info on how it all works and how to use it.  Of
> course, I will post here when I have it up.
>
> So I guess that was an update.
>
> Anyway, I'm facing an important decision in the design of the whole
> thing, and I'd really appreciate some advice on it.  Basically, I
> could change around the way it works and make it quite a bit cleaner
> and more extensible, but it would require adding every item listed on
> eBay as an entry in the new ebay table.  That could really get to be
> a lot of entries that aren't being used for anything unless the item
> ends up being sold.  Should I:
>
> a) not write every listed item as an entry in the ebay table and
> sacrifice some cleanliness and extensibility
> b) write every listed item as an entry in the ebay table, but delete
> each record that isn't needed after the listing has ended
> c) write every listed item as an entry in the ebay table and not
> worry about the bloated database
>
> I'm leaning toward b.  If you agree, how can a record be deleted from
> a table without going through the UI?

C is better, because every item, even if it sells, is an accountable item. So,
there will be ebay list fees (possibly optional listing fees like BOLD, etc),
and maybe even fees for using YOUR app, regardless if the item sells.

Even if you add 500 items a week, that is only 6000 a year. depending on how
you have the accounting setup, that means maybe at most 25,000 entries a year,
which isn't bad, especially if you placing 500 items a week on ebay.

I would let the users flag an item for deletion, depending on whether or not
they want to delete it. If you app is charging fees, they shouldn't be able to
delete it obviously, as it would cause you more customer service headaches
later if they cannot go back and see their account history, with associated
item (visual proof you are not charging them for bogus items). I am guessing
your app hosts the images as well yes? I would have those deleted every once in
a while, based on corresponding item rows end_date.

If you will let them delete, have them flag it, then run through with a weekly
cron to delete all rows flagged (and respective rows in other tables if
necessary). JOBS sounds like a timed run of ITL, which is probably even easier.

Of course without an overview of what you are doing with the tables, what their
part is in the grand schema, and how this app should work, any advice will be
general advice.

HTH
Paul