[ic] Active / Inactive Items

Jon prtyof5 at attglobal.net
Tue Apr 20 23:37:17 EDT 2004

> > > Stefan Hornburg wrote:
> > >
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > We use the inactive field to identify discontinued product and were
> > > having problems with people finding inactive product flypages
> > via search
> > > engines.
> > >
> > > Our solution was to add a check for the inactive flag at the top of the
> > > flypage and then plaster "DISCONTINUED" all over the page. We also
> > > remove the add to basket button to stop people buying it.
> >
> > What would be a sensible solution for that problem ? I can imagine
> > bouncing to a page "This item is discontinued bla bla".
> >
> >       Racke
> >

> I think it would be good to display inactive items on the flypage - that way
> you can make suggestions for other products in its place,

This is exactly what I do because people like specific items but when the
manufacturer
discontinues the item then what is the consumer to do... so you have a
suggestion.

> and the search
> engines do not try to access a page (flypage) that does not exist.

And if the SE does access the flypage so what ?  Wouldn't this just be another
way to drive traffic to your site referencing my above comment.

Jon