[ic] Active / Inactive Items

Jon prtyof5 at attglobal.net
Tue Apr 20 23:40:58 EDT 2004

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:31:26 +0100
> Jamie Neil <jamie at versado.net> wrote:
>
> > Stefan Hornburg wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> > > No, the customer can't see these items in the search results.
> > > I suppose that he can call the flypage.
> >
> > We use the inactive field to identify discontinued product and were
> > having problems with people finding inactive product flypages via search
> > engines.
> >
> > Our solution was to add a check for the inactive flag at the top of the
> > flypage and then plaster "DISCONTINUED" all over the page. We also
> > remove the add to basket button to stop people buying it.
>
> What would be a sensible solution for that problem ? I can imagine
> bouncing to a page "This item is discontinued bla bla".
>
>         Racke

I folded the discontinued item into the Stock Alert request feature and
defined
a Discontinued value and set the specific option (down to the size) as
Discontinued
and then make suggestions to alternate products with of course links to the
suggested
items flypages.  Seems to work and be useful for the consumer.

Jon