[ic] Linux label printers

Brian Kaney brian at vermonster.com
Sat Dec 4 16:50:54 EST 2004

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 Grant <emailgrant at gmail.com> wrote:

> Andy's post about label printers reminded me to write this, but I
> didn't want to hijack his thread.
>
> I'm planning on switching from Windows and its USPS and FedEx shipping
> software to Linux and IC for my shipping workstation.  I'm hoping to
> use some of the tags posted to the list to be able to print USPS and
> FedEx shipping labels, but I'm having trouble finding a thermal label
> printer that will work in Linux.  Does anyone have a recommendation?
>
> Also, if anyone is interested in a Zebra LP 2844 that works great in
> Windows but I can't get to work in Linux, let me know.  A few rolls of
> labels too.

We maintain the perl module for FedEx (Business-FedEx-DirectConnect,
http://search.cpan.org/~jpowers/Business-FedEx-DirectConnect-1.01/) and it
should work with your printer (I think your printer supports EPL).

The label code can be changed to ZPL (Zebra Printer Language) or EPL (Eltron
Printer Language) via codes 1368, 1369, and 1370...see the FedEx tagged
transaction guide for more info.

Once set up, all you have to do is open a port to the printer and dump
the ASCII
  label data returned from FedEx.  We helped set up a large volume warehouse
running Linux and Perl with Zebra printers.

- Brian