[ic] Shipping to APO boxes

Duane Hinkley duane at downhomewebdesign.com
Thu Dec 30 22:10:13 EST 2004

Gary Norton wrote:

> I wanted to see if someone would be willing to help me through some
> logic for determining when an address is going to an APO.
>
> Here are some details about the site:
> - The server is running 5.2 code, but the catalog was originally built
> on 4.8 and has been upgraded along the way to include some of the 5.2
> features.
> - The site is only using the "Express Checkout" type of checkout - no
> multi-page at the clients request.
> - The only method of shipping for the store is UPS, so defaulting to
> another method is not an option.
>
> The UPS lookup is returning $0 because it can't find the zip code in
> the database. There are promotions where $0 shipping would occur, so
> checking the value of shipping would have to include parsing the cart
> and verifying it against a promotion  table to see if the item is
> valid for free shipping. I was hoping to find a simpler solution than
> this if possible.
>
> I suppose in the profile.order I could parse for "apo" across certain
> fields (such as the PO Box check for COD). However, since the actual
> shipping check is made against the ZIP code, I was wondering if there
> was a better way to check against APO type zip codes.
> Does anyone have recommendations for this type of situation?
>
> TIA,
> Gary

Gary,

I wrote a Perl module that includes the Interchange tag for UPS Online
Tools XML interface.  I know it handles US, Canadian and International
shipping like a charm.  I havn't tested it with APO addressess.  My
guess is if you can go to the UPS web site and get reliable rates, the
module should return the same rates.   I have several clients using it
on production sites.

You can download it at
http://search.cpan.org/~downhom/Business-Shipping-UPS_XML-0.07/lib/Business/Shipping/UPS_XML.pm

--