[ic] people complaining about interchange...

frank frank at goldissue.com
Sat Feb 7 08:10:02 EST 2004

Jeff Dafoe wrote:

>Since October of 2002 I have run IC 4.8 on the server that services
>www.subcultural.com and www.sophee.com .  In that time, the daemon has
>served roughly 40,000 pages a day for a total of 14 million page views.  We
>have experienced peak traffic with as many as ten page requests per second.
>As far as I can remember, the daemon has never quit running and has only
>stopped responding to requests one time (and that one time could easily be
>attributed to CPU fan failure).  I know that the daemon has run for at least
>six months at a time without being shut down or restarted.
>
>There are absolutely no questions in my mind about Interchange's speed or
>stability on the Linux platform.  Our hardware is top notch, an Intel
>server-class motherboard with 2 gigs of ram, and Interchange's operation on
>this is flawless.
>

>Jeff

Jeff,

I have prospective customers with sites that have 20,000 items with
20,000 hits in 8 hours. I already host a site with 20,000 items. In
order to estimate whether my 2.7 GHz Pentium with 500 MB of ram could do
it, I wrote a script to do a heavy search on this database once a second.

My conclusion was that doing a search on 10,000 items once a second was
as much as my server could handle. Would you know what the effect of
buying more ram - say using 1 GB or more is likely to have on this
observation? When I use the linux tool 'top' I always find that cpu
appears to be the limiting factor,

Frank.