[ic] dedicated setup

Dan McCullough dan at heathermccullough.com
Sun Feb 22 16:37:57 EST 2004

Hello everyone.

I have a question dealing with a new project.  We have a customer who is
going to be seeing a large upswing in visibility (featured on two national
tv shows).  While we cant build the church for Easter, we are looking to
move them off of their old outdated Perl cart to Interchange and move them
from a shared server setup to a dedicated setup.  I have installed on a test
box and after many, many module installs later its up and running.  I want
to tune and strip the production machine down to get as much horsepower out
of box and thus make the performance better and allow for more users to use
the site.

 For example:
2.1 Ghz Processor
1 GB Ram
60 GB HD

Redhat 9.0 or Debain.
Perl 5.6, although I have heard that you guys are drooling to see
Interchange with Perl 5.8, or is that old information?

Anything else, what should I take off the box if you consider this is a
typical Redhat install.  Anything I should add or look for?
Anyone have good or bad experience with hosts like hostway, serverbeach or
valueweb?

thanks

dan mccullough
sr. engineer
url:  heathermccullough.com
tf:   866.298.3991
w:   603.444.9808
There is no such thing as a problem, unless the servers are on fire.
Sometimes great opportunity comes brilliantly disguised as bad news.