[ic] dedicated setup

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Sun Feb 22 16:58:25 EST 2004

Quoting Dan McCullough (dan at heathermccullough.com):
> Hello everyone.
>
> I have a question dealing with a new project.  We have a customer who is
> going to be seeing a large upswing in visibility (featured on two national
> tv shows).  While we cant build the church for Easter, we are looking to
> move them off of their old outdated Perl cart to Interchange and move them
> from a shared server setup to a dedicated setup.  I have installed on a test
> box and after many, many module installs later its up and running.  I want
> to tune and strip the production machine down to get as much horsepower out
> of box and thus make the performance better and allow for more users to use
> the site.
>
>  For example:
> 2.1 Ghz Processor
> 1 GB Ram
> 60 GB HD
>
> Redhat 9.0 or Debain.

There is no one sweet spot.

That would be a fine system, but the most important thing is to
optimize your catalog. If you have lots of traffic, you can't afford
to use an unmodified foundation demo catalog, as it goes way overboard
on the number of database queries you do.

Indexing your database properly, optimizing your frequently-accessed
pages with [timed-build], and lots of benchmarking is key. Interchange
does not repeal the laws of physics, and it is mostly IO-bound like
almost any other serious application.

> Perl 5.6, although I have heard that you guys are drooling to see
> Interchange with Perl 5.8, or is that old information?

IC has run with Perl 5.8 since that hit the net -- you will want to build
an unthreaded 5.8.3 with the PERL_SIGNALS=unsafe setting.

--
Mike Heins

Being against torture ought to be sort of a bipartisan thing.
-- Karl Lehenbauer