[ic] GnuPGP ... pgp

Mark Weaver mark at americanmicroinc.com
Fri Jun 11 12:50:46 EDT 2004

Tomas wrote:

> Mark:
>
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:07:25 +0100, Eros Shop <info at eros-shop.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have been using GnuPG 1.0,6 with IC and PGP FREEWARE 6.5.8. for
>> windows since I started my online store and I've never had any
>> problems  decrypting messages on the windows machines.
>

> I'm doing the same, now.  Thanks.  However, I have a question:
>
> Would you please show me your "route" that encrypts an order email?
> For  some reason, the emails that are created are not working correctly
> - and  while gpg works fine on command line, the emails created by IC
> are not  de-encryptable.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tomas

Hi Tomas,

I think I know what your problem is and as I recall from my setup the
route isn't the problem. Here's how I implemented this so that I was
able to decrypt the encrypted part of the order email, and the encrypted
CC# that can be accessed when viewing the order in the admin UI.

1) create a keypair while logged in as interchange user. ( on my system
that user is the default interchange user)
2) export the key to an .asc file, copy and past that info here:
    	Administration >> Miscellaneous >> Add GPG Key
	Once this was done IC began to see the keys that existed within the IC
user's home dir and would list
	them no matter who many I created. All I had to do was decide which one
I wanted to use.
3) Apply Changes.
4) tarball the .gnupg directory from Interchange's user dir.
5) install GnuPG on my windows workstation
6) install the GPG windows front end on windows workstation. (WinPT -
http://winpt.sourceforge.net/en/ )
7) download and unzip the gnupg tarball from your interchange server
that you tar'd in step four and manually place its contents into your
user's GnuPG folder.

Now you've got the same public and secret key that IC is using to create
its encryption for the orders. The GUI front end for GnuPG works the
same way PGP does when you're opening an email that is encrypted
provided you're using a client, such as Mozilla Messenger and using the
engimail plugin available for this client. ( don't know if this will
work with Outlook Express or Outlook. Don't use either of those.

The key here, even if you're not using Mozilla's email client is that
you've got GnuPG installed on your system with the same keyring
installed on your system as Interchange is using to do its encryption.
Makes life LOTS easier and GPG will play very nicely and allow this to
be done. The reason it works is because the Windows version works
exactly the same way as the Linux version. The files are the same on
both platforms so they transfer perfectly from Linux to windows with no
trouble at all.

--
Mark Weaver
American Micro - Webmaster