[ic] Security Problem in Interchange

Eros Shop info at eros-shop.co.uk
Mon Mar 29 13:40:25 EST 2004

At 19:03 29/03/2004, you wrote:
>Stefan Hornburg wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:35:48 -0700

>>>I tried the patch first, being lazy, and it didn't work (the reject file
>>>is below).  I then tried manually applying the patch and still not
>>>proper results... Looking at the page presented, I leave info tags and
>>>I'm at this page:
>>>

>>I attached Page.pm from 4.8.6, with my patch applied.
>>Please recheck.
>>

>That worked, it redirected to the violation page which then produced some
>very ugly results, I suspect mainly because it had never been
>targeted...  Thanks again!
>
>Barry

Ok, I didn't like that a hack attempt bounced off to violation.html as it
hints to people that there's something there for them to look in to more
deeply. Instead I've opted for bouncing a user off to missing.html which
implies there's nothing to be found or the URL is invalid/useless.

Basically I'm more keen to discourage people from "poking around" than
telling that they hit something of value. Would this not be a more sensible
policy?

Anyway, for those who are interested in confusing than denying, I changed
the 2 instances of this following line in Page.pm after applying the latest
patch from Racke.

$name = find_special_page('violation');

to:

$name = find_special_page('missing');