[ic] Odd https/redirect behavior

Janine A Sisk janine at furfly.net
Wed Sep 29 16:27:44 EDT 2004

I have had one Interchange site site set up for a few months, and
recently set up a second one on the same system.  Things went
swimmingly until I tried to access the admin pages.

On the site that works, if I go to
http://www.site1.com/cgi-bin/shop/admin I get redirected to
https://www.readerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shop/admin/login.html to log in,
and I stay in https the entire time I'm using the admin pages.

On the new site I don't get redirected to https, and if I put in the
https part manually I get redirected back to http on the next page
load.  But https *is* working;  I can manually go to
https://www.site2.com/cgi-bin/shop/admin/login.html and it works just
fine.

I have verified that SECURE_SERVER is set correctly, but that's about
as far as I've gotten due to a second problem:  it appears that the
login cookie isn't being written or found or something.  Each admin
page I go to I have to log in over again.  I know cookies are working
in my browser generally, and I can see that this site has written an
MV_SESSION_ID cookie, but perhaps that is a different one.  It's
probably related to the above problem somehow.

Any suggestions?  If https wasn't working at all I'd know what to do,
more or less, but I've never had a problem like this before.  BTW we
are not using virtual hosts;  each site has it's own IP address.

thanks,

janine