[ic] Setting up swish-e to search static pages

Ton Verhagen tverhagen at alamerce.nl
Mon Feb 7 15:03:25 EST 2005

>Quoting Gary Norton <gnorton at broadgap.com>:
>Ton Verhagen wrote:
>>Quoting Gary Norton <gnorton at broadgap.com>:
>>>I have a customer who has several static pages (specifically PDF's) on
>>>their site that they would like to be able to search. I would like to
>>>use the swish-e engine for this via the Vend::Swish module.
>>>
>>>I have added:
>>>
>>>Require module Vend::Swish
>>>AddDirective Swish hash
>>>Variable swish Vend::Swish
>>>
>>>in my interchange.cfg (as well as uncommented the ::logDebug statements
>>>in the Swish.pm). Swish-e is also installed on the server.
>>>
>>>Can someone give me some direction in setting this up? I am not quite
>>>sure what the next step should be. Do I need to make catalog specific changes?
>>>
>>>Also, if there is a better way you recommend doing this, I am open to ideas.
>>>

>>Brief how-to Swish:
>>
>>1. Install Swish-e on your server
>>
>>2. Create a Swish-e configuration file (where to find files, which files
>>to index, etc.)
>>
>>3. Run Swish-e and generate an index file (e.g. pages.index)
>>
>>4. Tell Interchange catalog where to find said file
>>Add fthe following line to catalog.cfg:
>>E.g.:
>>Swish index products/pages.index
>>
>Thank you. I was missing "Swish index products/pages.index" in the
>catalog.cfg .
>
>For reference of others reading I also had to add:
>
>Swish command /usr/bin/swish-e
>
>Gentoo portage installed to a different location than the default used by
>Swish.pm.
>
>>5. Add Swish capability to Interchange.
>>Add the following lines to interchange.cfg:
>>Require module Vend::Swish
>>AddDirective Swish hash
>>Variable swish Vend::Swish
>>
>>6. Restart IC server
>>
>>7. Create a search: Interchange ITL and st=swish
>>

>I was missing st=swish as well.
>
>>8. Display the results: Interchange ITL
>>
>>See the documentation that comes with Swish-e
>>http://swish-e.org
>>
>>Good luck !
>>
>This is working now. Thank you very much for your help. I do have one more
>question however. Do you know of a way to reference the returned results
>by name? Currently I am using [item-pos 0] [item-pos 1] etc. It would make
>for more readable code if there were names I could reference. I have tried
>the names that I though would work (looked inside Swish.pm) but they don't
>seem to work.

The following parameters are available in a search list:
code
score
url
title
filesize
mod_date

So, on a results page you could do:

[search-region]
[search-list]
[item-param code] -- [item-param score]  -- [item-param title] --
[item-param url] -- [item-param mod_date] -- [item-param filesize]
[/search-list]
[/search-region]

Best regards,

Ton

--
Alamerce Nederland --- Cornerstone of eBusiness
Phone +31-40-2374381    info at alamerce.nl    http://www.alamerce.nl

eCommerce Solutions -- Consulting -- Website & Interchange Hosting