[ic] Setting up swish-e to search static pages

Gary Norton gnorton at broadgap.com
Mon Feb 7 13:13:16 EST 2005

Ton Verhagen wrote:

>Quoting Gary Norton <gnorton at broadgap.com>:
>

>>I have a customer who has several static pages (specifically PDF's) on
>>their site that they would like to be able to search. I would like to use
>>the swish-e engine for this via the Vend::Swish module.
>>
>>I have added:
>>
>>Require module Vend::Swish
>>AddDirective Swish hash
>>Variable swish Vend::Swish
>>
>>in my interchange.cfg (as well as uncommented the ::logDebug statements in
>>the Swish.pm). Swish-e is also installed on the server.
>>
>>Can someone give me some direction in setting this up? I am not quite sure
>>what the next step should be. Do I need to make catalog specific changes?
>>
>>Also, if there is a better way you recommend doing this, I am open to ideas.
>>

>Brief how-to Swish:
>
>1. Install Swish-e on your server
>
>2. Create a Swish-e configuration file (where to find files, which files to
>index, etc.)
>
>3. Run Swish-e and generate an index file (e.g. pages.index)
>
>4. Tell Interchange catalog where to find said file
>Add fthe following line to catalog.cfg:
>E.g.:
>Swish index products/pages.index

Thank you. I was missing "Swish index products/pages.index" in the
catalog.cfg .

For reference of others reading I also had to add:

Swish command /usr/bin/swish-e

Gentoo portage installed to a different location than the default used
by Swish.pm.

>5. Add Swish capability to Interchange.
>Add the following lines to interchange.cfg:
>Require module Vend::Swish
>AddDirective Swish hash
>Variable swish Vend::Swish
>
>6. Restart IC server
>
>7. Create a search: Interchange ITL and st=swish

I was missing st=swish as well.

>8. Display the results: Interchange ITL
>
>See the documentation that comes with Swish-e
>http://swish-e.org
>
>Good luck !

This is working now. Thank you very much for your help. I do have one
more question however. Do you know of a way to reference the returned
results by name? Currently I am using [item-pos 0] [item-pos 1] etc. It
would make for more readable code if there were names I could reference.
I have tried the names that I though would work (looked inside Swish.pm)
but they don't seem to work.

Thanks again,
Gary