[ic] tax based on zip code?

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Fri Feb 18 09:38:53 EST 2005

>> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 at 11:15 PM, Barry Treahy, Jr. wrote:
>>
>> DB wrote:
>>
>> > In Ohio, sales tax must now be charged at different rates
>> > depending upon the location (zip code) of the customer. Has
>> > anyone done such a thing or am I going to have to get my hands
>> > dirty (or pay someone else to?) I'm running 5.2 with mysql.
>>
>> I asked this question just weeks ago and the silence was irritating
>> since someone has to had to have dealt with this already.
>>
>> For teh data source, one of the least expensive solutions I've
>> found is a product from the 'Sales Tax Clearinghouse' which
>> provides monthly or quarterly updates of the tax tables in a fixed
>> record format.  I've already created a table with the imported
>> values and will be working on a tags that will validate the
>> zip,state,city combinations when a ship-to or account is setup and
>> another to pull the current rates at the time of ordering...  If
>> you're interested in working together on this, contact me
>> off-list...

This is documented here:
http://www.icdevgroup.org/interchange-doc-5.2.0/ic_ecommerce.html#Sales%
20Tax%20--%20simple%20salestax.asc%20table

Since I haven't actually had to deal with it, I cannot vouch for the
completeness or correctness of the information there but it sounds like
you want to put your list of zip codes and tax rates in salestax.asc.
Hope that gets you going in the right direction.

--
Henry