[ic] Update Orders button - Admin UI

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Sat Feb 26 17:34:44 EST 2005

Quoting Mark Weaver (mdw1982 at mdw1982.com):
> Hi All,
>
> I'm sitting here at the moment writing procedure sheets for a client
> I've hooked up with Interchange, and as I got around to the bit about
> Order Processing a question came to mind.
>
> Here's the scenario:
>
> Assume the seller using Interchange is using Authorize.net to do online
> CC processing and is settling transactions upon approval.
>
> A customer submits an order to Interchange. On this order there are
> multiple items. One of the items is currently out of stock, so the order
> processing person calls the customer and lets them know that one of
> their seven items is currently out of stock, would they like to
> backorder the item. answer: no... just send what you've got.
>
> So, seller edits the order and removes the out of stock line item. Now,
> here's my question: after the order has been edited and the out of stock
> line item removed, the order processing person clicks on the "Update
> Order" button having of course changed the status of the order from
> pending to shipped, and entered the tracking number, does Interchange
> then contact Authorize.net cancel the previous transaction, and submit a
> new transaction for this customer?

No. This is something which would require quite a bit of development
to put in, and no one has bellied up to the bar to get it done.

Most companies which have the volume to need this type of thing
routinely use their own ERP or other systems to manage orders. Doing
this would send Interchange to the ERP side, which we have resisted
because it is a lot of work.

If someone were to fund the work, then it would be done. The current
functionality was due to projects given to me by clients, which is how
most of these things seem to get done; not many other companies besides
Perusion contribute their customizations to the core. This is
understandable, because it is a lot of work to take a hacked function
and make it generic enough for general use. But it would be nice if more
of it was done.

--
Mike Heins

relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Dick Feynman