[ic] Interchange 5.3.0 nightlies

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Fri Jan 14 13:13:02 EST 2005

Quoting Mark Weaver (mdw1982 at mdw1982.com):
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering... how stable would the latest nightly build of IC-5.3.0
> 2005-01-14 be is someone were to begin to use it on a Low Traffic
> setting for a small business? I'm assuming that 5.3.0 is build on the
> foundation of 5.2.0, yes?

Yes -- it is extremely compatibile. I use it routinely for new
installations, and have hundreds-of-orders-per-day stores running on it.

> On a whim this morning while setting Interchange up for a client I was
> getting frustrated with tracking everything down in order to setup IC so
> that it could "look and feel" as much as their web site as possible.
> There are literally tons of files I would have to modify in order to
> implement the theme I want to use. My thinking was "there has got to be
> an easier way of theming Interchange."
>
> That thought led me to look at the latest build of IC. Which I instantly
> fell in love with! for all the obvious reasons not the least of which is
> the fact that theming 5.3.0 is far easier than 5.2.0 simply be virtue of
> the fact that there's only "one" theme for this build. Meaning I only
> have one place to look and work on apart from making minor changes to
> individual page components to button everything up. VERY NICE!

You could also just extract the "standard" template part of things
and install it in a 5.2 server. I don't think there is too much in
that template that relies on 5.3-specific features -- certainly
the templating setup does not, as we have been using that since
4.9.7.

--
Mike Heins

p.s. sorry for lower case, injured hand

Friends don't let friends use Outlook. -- Bob Blaylock