[ic] Gentoo: Different syntax for su command

Davor Ocelic docelic at mail.inet.hr
Mon Jan 17 06:16:41 EST 2005

> Upon installing IC on a new Gentoo box I found that the following does
> not work:
>
>      su -c "/usr/local/interchange/bin/interchange -r" interch (this is
> recommended during install/makecat)
>
> Using this syntax you will get the following:
>
>      "The Interchange server must not be run as root."
>
> instead I needed to use the following syntax:
>
>      su - interch -c "/usr/local/interchange/bin/interchange -r"

Well, "su interch" and "su - interch" should both be valid, and do one
little different thing; the inclusion of " - " creates a "login shell",
whereas su without it doesn't; and this is the same everywhere.

You both changed the order of parameters, and added " - ". I don't
believe anyone would break su in a way you describe; try playing around
some more to come to the *actual* source of problem.

A little hint, as root, try running:

  su -c id nobody

If it reports ID nobody, then nothing has changed in Gentoo version
of su.