[ic] Gentoo: Different syntax for su command

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Mon Jan 17 11:32:03 EST 2005

Quoting Davor Ocelic (docelic at mail.inet.hr):

> > Upon installing IC on a new Gentoo box I found that the following does
> > not work:
> >
> >      su -c "/usr/local/interchange/bin/interchange -r" interch (this is
> > recommended during install/makecat)
> >
> > Using this syntax you will get the following:
> >
> >      "The Interchange server must not be run as root."
> >
> > instead I needed to use the following syntax:
> >
> >      su - interch -c "/usr/local/interchange/bin/interchange -r"
>

> Well, "su interch" and "su - interch" should both be valid, and do one
> little different thing; the inclusion of " - " creates a "login shell",
> whereas su without it doesn't; and this is the same everywhere.
>
> You both changed the order of parameters, and added " - ". I don't
> believe anyone would break su in a way you describe; try playing around
> some more to come to the *actual* source of problem.

Actually, Gary is exactly correct in effect.

Why would someone break su this way? I don't know, but there are plenty
of people who pooh-pooh others attempts to try and retain compatibility
and sometimes they get to control things. 8-)

The other possibility is the change has been long listed on a
"deprecated" list and someone decided to pull the trigger.

--
Mike Heins

p.s. sorry for lower case, injured hand

Few blame themselves until they have exhausted all other possibilities.
 -- anonymous