[ic] Linux label printers

Jon prtyof5 at attglobal.net
Thu Jan 20 21:04:25 EST 2005

> > > Maybe printing a TIFF or PDF isn't where it's at for the Zebra.  USPS
> > > has a third option to create a custom label.  That seems like the one
> > > that's suited for printing like this.  You could use custom ZPL or EPL
> > > that way.
> >
> > If you have one of these custom label files from USPS I should be able
> > to at least test it through my Zebra.  I assumed PNG, Brian says
> > ZPL or EPL... in any case it works.
>
> Good idea.  I'll see if I can get USPS to tell me if they have a
> ready-to-go custom label available.
>

> > > This has me thinking about using an airbill pouch, laser printer, and
> > > 8.5x11 instead of the Zebra.  I could print the PDF from a browser and
> > > not have to mess with ZPL/EPL or trying to integrate the driver-less
> > > Zebra into the workflow.  If anyone wants to compare the merits of
> > > airbill pouches and thermal labels, I've got some ideas on that.  Let
> > > me know.
> >
> > Are the paper, pouches and ink free like the thermal labels ?
> > Seems more time consuming to deal with sticky pouches
> > and folding paper then to simply peel and place the thermal labels.
> > To me those were compelling to choose the thermal option
> > not the mention the issues of printing a clear bar code.
>
> I debated this in my head yesterday and couldn't quite come to a conclusion.

I did the exact same thing, but perhaps my reasoning was a bit different
then yours... read on.

> Thermal Pros:
> - free labels

My thought was at least 10 cents per package, but I could be really off on that
one.

> - small label footprint
>
> Pouched Paper Pros:
> - one printer instead of two (less setup, less maintenance, simplicity)
> - if shipping internationally, the pouch makes it easy to include the
> necessary documents

I haven't done international so didn't consider this.

> - more securely affixed (sometimes when I get packages returned to me,
> FedEx has covered the label in a clear sticker to keep it on, and when
> I track FedEx packages it sometimes says that the label had to be
> replaced)

I've never had this happen to me but then again I'm only domestic :(

> - thermal labels have to be carefully and vigorously applied where
> there are no tape creases, pouches do not

Not had this problem either, but if the thermal label messes up I just
reprint the same label since I save a copy of the image just for this
purpose.

> - just as professional looking (I never would have thought this was
> true but I got a package from Fat Possum Records and they do it this
> way and it looked very professional)
>
> One other thing is the possibility of really customizing the label
> sheet of paper.  A color laser could print all kinds of things on
> there.  The only problem with this is I'm not sure if you could set up
> a custom label through a laser printer.  It seems like the printer
> might have to have barcode abilities built-in.  There must be some way
> to print barcodes on a laser printer though.

As far as bar code printing to me it is just ink, but when I mentioned this
as a possibility to FedEx they were not to happy about it because the
quality of the print can degrade which affects their ability to scan.
I could see this especially true as I'm sure I would always want to
refill cartridges.   If you're not authorized to use the FedEx server you
will have to before you can create live labels and that process requires
submitting a number of sample labels that you print.

Jon