[ic] Linux label printers

Duane Hinkley duane at downhomewebdesign.com
Thu Jan 20 22:21:12 EST 2005

Jon wrote:

>>>If you have one of these custom label files from USPS I should be able
>>>to at least test it through my Zebra.  I assumed PNG, Brian says
>>>ZPL or EPL... in any case it works.
>>>

>>Good idea.  I'll see if I can get USPS to tell me if they have a
>>ready-to-go custom label available.

USPS does have custom labels.  I'm developing a CPAN module for it now
for and Interchange client.  It's due this weekend to the client.  I'll
post my code when it's finished.

>>>Are the paper, pouches and ink free like the thermal labels ?
>>>Seems more time consuming to deal with sticky pouches
>>>and folding paper then to simply peel and place the thermal labels.
>>>To me those were compelling to choose the thermal option
>>>not the mention the issues of printing a clear bar code.
>>>

>>I debated this in my head yesterday and couldn't quite come to a conclusion.
>>

>I did the exact same thing, but perhaps my reasoning was a bit different
>then yours... read on.
>

>>Thermal Pros:
>>- free labels
>>

>My thought was at least 10 cents per package, but I could be really off on that
>one.
>

>>- small label footprint
>>
>>Pouched Paper Pros:
>>- one printer instead of two (less setup, less maintenance, simplicity)
>>- if shipping internationally, the pouch makes it easy to include the
>>necessary documents
>>

>I haven't done international so didn't consider this.
>

>>- more securely affixed (sometimes when I get packages returned to me,
>>FedEx has covered the label in a clear sticker to keep it on, and when
>>I track FedEx packages it sometimes says that the label had to be
>>replaced)
>>

>I've never had this happen to me but then again I'm only domestic :(
>

>>- thermal labels have to be carefully and vigorously applied where
>>there are no tape creases, pouches do not
>>

>Not had this problem either, but if the thermal label messes up I just
>reprint the same label since I save a copy of the image just for this
>purpose.
>

>>- just as professional looking (I never would have thought this was
>>true but I got a package from Fat Possum Records and they do it this
>>way and it looked very professional)
>>
>>One other thing is the possibility of really customizing the label
>>sheet of paper.  A color laser could print all kinds of things on
>>there.  The only problem with this is I'm not sure if you could set up
>>a custom label through a laser printer.  It seems like the printer
>>might have to have barcode abilities built-in.  There must be some way
>>to print barcodes on a laser printer though.
>>

>As far as bar code printing to me it is just ink, but when I mentioned this
>as a possibility to FedEx they were not to happy about it because the
>quality of the print can degrade which affects their ability to scan.
>I could see this especially true as I'm sure I would always want to
>refill cartridges.   If you're not authorized to use the FedEx server you
>will have to before you can create live labels and that process requires
>submitting a number of sample labels that you print.
>
>Jon

I also have a FedEx CPAN module (Interchange ready) that provides the
FedEx labels.  I passed Fedex certification testing with it and they are
ultra critical on the labels.  For me they were most critical on the
size of the Ground label (down to a 10th of an inch).  They accepted
label on paper from an HP Deskjet and had no problem.  So they should
accept it from a Zebra.

I also have all 200 International and Domestic addresses included in the
test scripts for the FedEx module.  So no need to reproduce that data if
you need it.

>>- Grant

I've done this label process for one client and finishing it for another
in the next week.  The one client is using Fedex and printing the label
from his browser onto a Deskjet printer.  FedEx has been excepting them
for several months.  I don't think there's any need to go through the
hoops to get that Zebra working.

Sincerely,

Duane Hinkley
Down Home Web Design, Inc.