[ic] using mv_email rather than mv_username for new_account and login

Ethan Rowe ethan at endpoint.com
Fri Jan 28 13:16:26 EST 2005

Brian Kaney wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 15:05, Tom Hodder wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Is there a simple way of usnig the mv_email rather than mv_username for
>>a customers login, as my customer does not want it to work that way,
>>

>Hi Tom,
>
>I'd like to do the same thing.  Have you figured out how to implement
>this?
>
>I was planning to have users input their email address during account
>creation.  Then populate the userdb.username and userdb.email.  Just
>need to make sure to increase the default size of username (it's
>VARCHAR-16 out-of-box).
>

>Regards,
>Brian

Take a look at the indirect_login option of UserDB (both the
configuration directive and the usertag).  Indirect_login allows you to
specify a field other than username to validate against.  You could use
email_address or something for it (the name should match the column in
the table; I believe you still submit the value via the mv_username CGI
variable).

It does a check first to ensure the new value (at account creation time)
is unique.  If you have existing user data, you'll need to check this
uniqueness on the alternate column yourself before activating this;
otherwise it won't work so well.

--
Ethan Rowe
End Point Corporation