[ic] problem with time tag?

Ron Phipps rphipps at reliant-solutions.com
Tue Mar 1 15:05:28 EST 2005

[mailto:interchange-users-
> bounces at icdevgroup.org] On Behalf Of Peter
> Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 6:45 PM
>
> On 02/28/05 17:46, Ron Phipps wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can anyone think of a reason why we would see values in the
order_date
> > column that are some time in the future?  For example today I found
two
> > orders with the following order_date:
> >
> > 20050301 00:15:25
> > 20050301 01:47:41
> >
> > The current date on the server is:
> >
> > Mon Feb 28 17:58:12 PST 2005
> >
> > I don't see how the time tag returned a date in the future.
>
> Is the TZ environment variable set on your system or is it being set
> from whatever script you use to launch interchange with?
>
> Peter

Hello Peter,

Thanks for asking about the TZ environment variable.  It was not being
set by the script that starts/restarts IC.  The weird thing is the time
tag would return the correct value most of the time, however every once
in awhile the time would be off (a couple times per minute).  Today when
I reran my test page I noticed it was off by exactly 8 hours each time,
which would correspond with the timezone being set to GMT for that one
page request.  This may be an issue only when RPC mode is used, which
launches multiple page servers.  Perhaps 9 of the 10 pages servers had
the correct time from the kernel, however 1 of them may not have which
would explain why different calls (time, tag-time, perl-localtime) would
return the same result. WEIRD!

I have since added the TZ env variable to my start/restart scripts and I
have been unable to reproduce the problem.

Thanks,
-Ron