[ic] Customer Housekeeping & IC 4.8.7 - Resend

Mark Bryant mark at vwe.net
Fri Mar 4 10:55:27 EST 2005

At 21:29 03/03/2005, you wrote:
>Quoting Mark Bryant (mark at vwe.net):

> since it
> run,

> find
> I've
> > >
> > >Actually I recommend doing it from a cron job.

> > >Untested, requires mysql 4.1.1 or higher:
> > >
> > >SELECT userdb.username from userdb LEFT JOIN transactions ON
> > >userdb.username=transactions.username WHERE transactions.code IS NULL AND
> > >FROM_UNIXTIME(mod_time) < SUBTIME(NOW(), '0-1-0 0:0:0')
> > >
> > >I'll leave you to figure out how to turn that into a DELETE statement.
> >

> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > Thanks for your response and your suggested SELECT statement.
> >
> > Sadly I'm stuck with MySQL 3.23 and as expected the above select doesn't
> > work :(
> >
> > Failed to execute SQL : SQL SELECT userdb.username from userdb LEFT JOIN
> > transactions ON userdb.username=transactions.username WHERE
> > transactions.code IS NULL AND FROM_UNIXTIME(mod_time) < SUBTIME (NOW(),
> > '0-1-0 0:0:0'); failed :You have an error in your SQL syntax near '(NOW(),
> > '0-1-0 0:0:0')' at line 1
> >
> > Would anyone know how to get it working for 3.23 and perhaps also provide
> > the corresponding DELETE statement? MySQL knowledge is terribly limited
> and
> > I'm already in way over my head.
>
>If you are talking about 260 usernames, from a performance standpoint it is
>not worth the trouble and the potential loss of business to remove the
>records.
>
>If you don't want to see them in the UI, why don't you just mark them
>as inactive?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

With the kind of products we sell, if people don't checkout during their
first visit they very rarely come back again later. If they do, it's
usually within a few days or hours. Analysis of our logs over the last year
or so has proven this to be true. I guess those that didn't come back found
something more to their taste elsewhere and is a side of business that we
all have to accept as retailers - the competition.

Anyway, I hear what you're saying about it being only 260 _complete_ user
accounts in my DB, but I do regularly remove any that are just user & pass
entries via the Admin UI (sorting by name puts them at the top of the
customer list) so their absence is distorting the 260 figure significantly.
Now that the number is starting to grow significantly (because the site has
become more popular) I need a better way to manage them all as a whole.

If I were to follow your advice and mark these accounts as inactive, I
would still require me to find them in the first place (the main question
in this thread) and then mark them as inactive.

 From a performance point of view, would it not take the same time to mark
them as inactive as it would to delete them?

Why not delete them and save longer term?

I see little point in excluding accounts from the UI view if they don't
need to be there in the first place.

I hope this has clarified _why_ I want to delete user accounts, but my
original question still remains, how can I find, mark off and delete user
accounts that haven't been used to place an order and are older than XX
days via the Admin UI?

Many thanks

Mark

Eros Shop