[ic] Session Database - Moving from files to SQL

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Mon Sep 26 14:06:50 EDT 2005

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Sandy Thomson wrote:

> I help run a fairly busy interchange store, and was looking for ways to boost
> performance of the site (We are almost at the stage of maxing out a dual xeon
> server).
> After browsing the RTFM site for a while I came across the following
> sections:
> 3.80 SessionDatabase
> 3.81 SessionDB
>
> In 3.80 it states you can configure interchange to use flat file or db/gdbm
> files for sessions, and 3.81 states you can use a separate database for
> interchange sessions, but that is not recommended?
>
> Has anyone managed to use DBI for interchange sessions? Does anyone know the
> schema to use? Is it worth doing?

We use DBI for sessions on one server cluster, with PostgreSQL as the
backend. It's a significantly modified version that uses PostgreSQL's
native locking for sessions instead of the "sessionlock" column. We're
still working on genericizing it so we can put it in Interchange's CVS.

I know at least a couple of setups use DBI sessions with MySQL
successfully.

If you can make it work well, I'd actually recommend you first try NFS or
GFS for centralized file-based session sharing. It's a lot less hassle.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation