[ic] authorizenet failure increments counter?

Paul Jordan paul at gishnetwork.com
Mon Nov 27 11:10:17 EST 2006

interchange-users-bounces at icdevgroup.org wrote:
> Bob Puff wrote:
>> Hi Gang,
>>
>> Just saw something strange tonight on a catalog running under 5.2.
>> There was a gap in the order numbers.
>
> [snip]
>
>> Obviously, someone entered a bad CC number, and it told them so.  But
>> why did it increment the order number counter?  I thought this only
>> happened on successful orders.
>
> At some point between 4.8 and now, the charge routine was
> moved out of the order profile and into the order route. I'm
> quite certain the purpose of this was so that the order
> number would be available to the charge request as
> identifying data (the context in which this came up most
> often was for Verisign where it is highly desirable to
> include the order number in one of the COMMENT fields to ease
> reconciliation). The difference is, as you've noted, order
> numbers get "used" on failed attempts. The problem is there's
> no ironclad way to "roll back"
> increments (even RDBMS systems recognize this as sequence
> values are never rolled back as part of a failed transaction).

I thought this was the other way around. Between 4.8 and now, the charge
routine was taken from the order profile and placed in log_transaction, and
using a transaction code (counter_tid IIRC?) as the reference number, which
if stored could be used for reconciliation. This was to prevent gaps in the
order number by truly assigning it after a successful transaction.

In fact, I suspect the poster of this issue just has not synced up his
log_transaction and profiles to current. It'd work the way he wants it to,
if I understand correctly.

Paul