[ic] Setting the locale while coming from another domain

Stefan Hornburg racke at linuxia.de
Thu Jun 28 04:33:48 EDT 2007

Ton Verhagen wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am using a .com domain (e.g. www.mydomain.com) with default locale set
> to en_US.
>
> The catalog running on this domain can be accessed by:
> www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/shop .
> The DirectoryIndex for this domain has been set to:
> /cgi-bin/shop/index.html
>

> Now I would like to access this catalog from different domains while
> setting the
> locale for those domains at first entry.
>
> E.g.
> www.mydomain.de ---->
> www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/shop/process/locale/de_DE/page/index.html
> www.mydomain.fr ---->
> www.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/shop/process/locale/fr_FR/page/index.html
>
> Thus accessing e.g. www.mydomain.de should set the de_DE locale on the
> main domain.
>

> I tried the following in Apache's virtual host section for the '.de' and
> '.fr' domains:
>
> Redirect /
> http://www.trendy-jewels.com/tj/eshop/process/locale/de_DE/page/index.html
>
>         or
>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)
> http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin/shop/process/locale/de_DE/page/index.html [p]
>

> Both settings do redirect the user from e.g. www.mydomain.de to the main
> domain www.mydomain.com
> however, the locale will not be set.
>
> When I past the redirect URL in my browser, the locale will be set to
> the one provided in the URL.
>
> Any ideas what I might be missing here?

You could also do the locale initializations in Autoload, example
from http://www.materialboerse.de/:

# check if we enter from an English or a German site
# and set locale accordingly
unless ($Scratch->{locale_initialized}) {
	$Scratch->{locale_initialized} = 1;
	my $locale = 'de_DE';
	my $vhost = $Tag->env('VIRTUAL_HOST') || $Tag->env('SERVER_NAME');

	for (split (/\s/, $Variable->{ENGLISH_SITES})) {
		if ($_ eq $vhost) {
			# need English
			$locale = 'en_US';
			$Config->{VendURL} = "http://${vhost}$Variable->{CGI_URL}";
			last;
		}
	}
	$Tag->setlocale({locale=>$locale,persist=>1});
}

Regards
	Racke

Interchange Development Team