[ic] interchange.pid

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Fri Nov 16 15:06:43 EST 2007

Quoting Brian Pribis (brian.pribis at gmail.com):
> Mike,
>
> >>	LockType fcntl
> >>
> >>in interchange.cfg?
> >
> >I realize I haven't taken as active a role recently, but have
> >things gotten to the point where I am ignored?
> >
> Do you mean to ask if I am ignoring you or if I have solved the problem
> and don't need you any more :)
>
> Well the answer to both is no.     I tried what you suggested and it
> didn't help.  It still finds the interchange.pid when creating the file,
> but doesn't find it when it comes to reading it to stop the program.
> IC even updates the file with the new PID.   It just won't find it when
> shutting down.

I haven't worked with Solaris for a number of years, as almost no one seems
to use it for web servers anymore.

The underlying problem is with Perl and how it interacts with locking.
If using fcntl locking doesn't fix the problem -- as it did with later
Solaris installations back in 1999 or 2000 -- then probably nothing
is going to fix it.

Note what you see if you search on google for "perl solaris lock".

--
Mike Heins

There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make
a big deal about your birthday. That time is age 12. -- Dave Barry