[ic] Moving the admin interface to a different url

John1 list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 17 11:31:53 EST 2007

On Monday, November 12, 2007 2:14 PM Mike Heins wrote:

> Quoting John1 (list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk):
>> I'd like to implement some "security by obscurity" by moving the
>> admin interface to a different location rather than /admin.
>>
>> Please can anyone tell me what I need to do to relocate it.
>
> Not recommended.

OK, fair enough.

> Much better to do is to run a separate interchange server instance
> that has the admin pages and tags, removing those completely from
> production. In some cases, you can put the IC server behind a company
> firewall completely, making it only accessible via VPN.

OK, so in this scenario presumably the admin GUI would be on a different
domain/IP but would still have to be at /admin.

i.e.
website would be at www.websitedomain.com
admin GUI at www.admindomain.com/admin

Do I understand correctly?

I just thought it would be nice if there was a simple way to move admin
pages from:
www.websitedomain.com/admin
to say:
www.websitedomain.com/adminqwerty

Would it not be a good idea to have a variable e.g. UI_URL that could be set
to the location adim GUI?  For example:

UI_URL    /adminqwerty

> The TemplateDir, CodeRepository, and Include tags can be used to
> change which tags are included in the running server instance.

OK, thanks.