[ic] distro

Kris Deugau kdeugau at vianet.ca
Fri Sep 14 13:15:02 EDT 2007

hudsondarnell40 at comcast.net wrote:
> I am trying to find out what distro is people using for there interchange install.
> Want to find out how to get around this whole thread perl issue. I try to recompile
> perl but that breaks the modules then I try to reinstall the module using -MCPAN
> but that does not work module still broke.

If you build a custom Perl for IC, it's best to build it so that it
installs in a completely separate location (eg /usr/local/icperl) rather
than overwriting the system packages (shudder) or even the default
/usr/local/(bin,share,lib,etc) locations.

That way, your system Perl can be maintained by whatever package manager
your distro provides, and your IC Perl build can be maintained via CPAN.

We use two different Debian releases here (old and ancient <g>);  IIRC
I've seen reports of RedHat 7.mumble through EL (and source-rebuild
derivatives), Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware, and even one or two nuts
running IC on Fedora Core.  ;)

-kgd