[ic] distro

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Fri Sep 14 13:24:40 EDT 2007

hudsondarnell40 at comcast.net wrote:
> I am trying to find out what distro is people using for there interchange install.
> Want to find out how to get around this whole thread perl issue. I try to recompile
> perl but that breaks the modules then I try to reinstall the module using -MCPAN
> but that does not work module still broke.

I use Gentoo GNU/Linux for all of the servers under my control.

With Gentoo, Perl only gets configured for threads if you ask for it;
the default is to not build thread support.

Any modern distro will work.  If your distro comes complete with a
thread-configured Perl then just build your own.  It only takes a
couple of commands and a short wait to do so.

Once you have a non-thread Perl, you simply install your modules into
that non-thread Perl instance (either distro-supplied or self-built).
The key is to know which Perl you are installing your modules into
(/path/to/my/perl -MCPAN -e 'install Doo::Dah').

I know of a few Gentoo users.  Other popular distros include Debian
and Red Hat.  Some crazy people use non-Linux OSs, such as *BSD, but
it's probably rude to talk about those people in public. :-)

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz