[ic] distro

JT Justman jt at signless.com
Fri Sep 14 14:00:07 EDT 2007

hudsondarnell40 at comcast.net wrote:
> I am trying to find out what distro is people using for there interchange install.
> Want to find out how to get around this whole thread perl issue. I try to recompile
> perl but that breaks the modules then I try to reinstall the module using -MCPAN
> but that does not work module still broke.

For production I run CentOS (RHEL); for these I install a local Perl for
Interchange as suggested by Kevin and Kris.

>From my notes; this will give you a perl in /usr/local/ ...

> Site-Perl Installation
> 1)	Download latest stable Perl tarball (linked via http://www.perl.org/)
> $ wget http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/CPAN/src/stable.tar.gz
> 2)	Un-tar the distribution
> $ tar xzvf stable.tar.gz
> 3)	Change to the created directory
> $ cd perl-5.8.8
> 4)	Configure perl with defaults
> $ sh Configure –de
> 5)	Make, test, and install as root
> $ make
> … building …
> $ make test
> … testing …
> $ sudo make install
> … installing …
> 6)	Verify installation
> $ which perl
> /usr/local/bin/perl
> $ perl –v
> (Your perl version)

Then of course you are maintaining two Perl installations; you just have
to keep this in mind as you go on with things like mod_perl and so on.

My test platform is Gentoo (and I may start using Gentoo for some of my
production machines) - you can build Perl without threads very easily
once you understand Portage basics. The flexibility of Gentoo suits some
 of my preferences, like Apache2 and MySQL 5.

JT

--
Web:    http://www.signless.com
E-Mail: jt at signless.com