[ic] Odd search behavior

jojospace info at ebusiness-leidinger.de
Tue Mar 11 15:22:47 EST 2008

icdev at tritechresearch.com wrote:
>> I'm migrating an existing (modified foundation, 5.4.2, mysql) catalog to
>> a new server. I've copied all of the templates, pages, database tables
>> etc.
>>
>> Old server: http://domain.com/cgi-bin/store/index.html
>>
>> I changed the variables.txt such that the new server runs on:
>> http://test.domain.com/cgi-bin/store/index.html
>>
>> The new catalog runs fine except for one strange thing. On the old
>> server, the following URL will display matches as expected:
>>
>> http://domain.com/cgi-bin/store/scan/se=ST123/sf=sku
>>
>> but on the new server,
>>
>> http://test.domain.com/cgi-bin/store/scan/se=ST123/sf=sku
>>
>> brings up no matches. Searching for ST123 on the "Small search box"
>> however does work. The data in the tables appears to be identical
>> between the two servers. The catalog and main error logs show nothing.
>>
>> Can anyone help me figure out why this might be happening?
>>
>> DB

I'm missing some additional informations.

What happens, if you are "scanning" for "st123" like

http://domain.com/cgi-bin/store/scan/se=st123/sf=sku

?

What is your setting of locale in your shell? In your config files
(catalog.cfg and variable.txt)?

What is your default setting of locale in your OS? Which OS? What is the
command "file products.txt" reporting? Any difference between your old
and new server by the "file" or "printenv" command?

Maybe, there is a wrong configuration to use the right locale anywhere?

For the russian language, i've founded some behavior or depencies any
years ago. For example:

Searching for an author like "Putin" or "putin" works for both.
Scanning for an author like "Putin" or "putin" works for "putin" only.
Scanning with or without "case sensitive" don't solve this behavior.

ScratchDefault was set to ru_RU in catalog.cfg!

A new setting like "ScratchDefault to mv_locale ru_RU.CP1251" was the
solution, because the products.txt files was created with CP1251 for
russian language.

Sorry for my bad english!

Kindly regards,

Joachim (aka jojo)