[ic] Refunds via [charge]

Lyn St George lyn at zolotek.net
Mon Aug 3 19:36:30 UTC 2009

On Monday 03 August 2009 18:59:53 Grant wrote:
> Can the [charge] tag be used to refund a card?  I'm not sure how this
> could be done since the mv_credit_card_* stuff is not known at that
> point.  Can the original transaction ID be set to a variable that
> [charge] will use to apply the credit?
>
> - Grant

Payment modules such as Authorize.net don't have this functionality built in
to them. You can most likely pass arguments in the [charge ..] tag which
would be acceptable to the gateway, but then you would also need to log
certain selected fields from the initial transaction and its acceptance
response, so as to identify the transaction being refunded in a way
acceptable to the gateway.

If you have the API and a test a/c, then it's reasonably straightfoward to add
this functionality in any payment module. All my modules (such as Sagepay)
have these extra functions built-in, and you're welcome to poach and
cannibalise anything from these to add into the module you're using. Bear in
mind of course that all gateways have quite different APIs, and that
something like Sagepay is difficult to read because of the 3DSecure stuff.

--
Lyn St George
http://www.zolotek.net