[ic] Does IC install extra stuff?

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 22:38:27 UTC 2009

>> Is there a way to figure out if IC is using any of the perl modules in
>> /usr/local/interchange so I might be able to delete them?  Could 'make
>> install' have installed anything outside of /usr/local/interchange?
>
> You installed Bundle::KitchenSink already before you finished your IC
> install right?

I did not actually install Bundle::KitchenSink.  Instead, I tried to
install each necessary module individually.

> Then my assumption is that if you would remove those perl models from
> /usr/local/interchange that things should still work.
>
> Then again, my 2nd theory is that if you have Interchange installing those
> modules under /usr/local/interchange/  then the Perl that you used to
> install interchange was not able to find these modules. Or the test in order
> to find these modules is broken in the Interchange installation process ...
>
> Are you using a stock Perl, or your own compiled Perl?  There might be the
> key to this. I use a self compiled Perl and if you do too then this might be
> the reason why these things end up in /usr/local/interchange ... But that is
> just a theory and that could mean that the installation process has a
> certain issue with determining if all modules are available ...

Gentoo's portage does compile perl before installation so maybe that's
it.  I have:

# locate DBI.pm
/usr/local/interchange/src/DBI-1.609/blib/lib/Bundle/DBI.pm
/usr/local/interchange/src/DBI-1.609/blib/lib/DBI.pm
/usr/local/interchange/src/DBI-1.609/DBI.pm
/usr/local/interchange/src/DBI-1.609/lib/Bundle/DBI.pm
/usr/local/interchange/lib/Bundle/DBI.pm
/usr/local/interchange/lib/DBI.pm
/usr/local/interchange/lib/Vend/Table/DBI.pm
/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux/Bundle/DBI.pm
/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux/DBI.pm

> And if you are not on a production environment then the first thing I would
> try is to move all of those modules away from /usr/local/interchange,
> restart the kitty and see if she will still purr ... If you are only having
> production that might be a bit of a crash & burn experience for some of the
> visitors in those exciting 5 minutes ...   (so 'move all of those modules =
> zip -r -9 myiclib.zip /usr/local/interchange/lib/ ... then whackallmodules ,
> restart, check if it still plays, if not unzip that myiclib.zip and restart
> ... ) ...

Good advice, thank you Gert.

- Grant