[ic] Upgrade procedure

Gert van der Spoel gert at 3edge.com
Sun Jun 14 07:02:52 UTC 2009

My different approach at this point is that I put the new interchange in a
separate directory, ie:
/opt/interchange-5.7.1/

> ~/interchange$ make
>
> ~/interchange$ make test
>
> ~/interchange$ su
>
> At this point make a backup of your current interchange install.
>
> ~/interchange# make install

In the most simple case you now have an interchange.cfg file to copy over to
the new tree.
When you have done various changes to your core, I'd suggest to create a
'build' script that you can run over the latest tree to apply your patches
to the tree ...

There would be a symlink pointing to the latest version you are using
ie /opt/interchange/  pointing to /opt/interchange-5.4.0

Once you did all your custom fixes and followed further steps regarding the
UPGRADE (changes to pages, local usertags, databases etc). Then you can
switch around your symlink and restart.

If things do not look like they are working well, you can switch back your
symlink and restart and you're back on your previous install.