[ic] Upgrade procedure

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Sun Jun 14 08:34:37 UTC 2009

On 06/14/2009 12:02 AM, Gert van der Spoel wrote:
> My different approach at this point is that I put the new interchange in a
> separate directory, ie:
> /opt/interchange-5.7.1/

If you're going to do this then it's a good idea to copy your existing
directory over first (cp -a interchange interchange-5.7.1), that way you
will keep your old interchange.cfg and other custom usertags, modules,
etc without having to worry about copying them over after the fact.

> In the most simple case you now have an interchange.cfg file to copy over to
> the new tree.
> When you have done various changes to your core, I'd suggest to create a
> 'build' script that you can run over the latest tree to apply your patches
> to the tree ...

I was avoiding getting into this much detail, but if you're going to do
this you are probably just as well off cloning git and maintaining your
changes there, that way they will be automatically merged with upgrades
and all you have to do is watch for conflicts.

Better yet, avoid core changes all together and if you absolutely have
to make a core change post to the ml first so that others can review it
and make suggestions about possible ways to do what you want without a
core change, and if it's absolutely needed it is not beyond reason for a
core developer to check your core change (or a similar one) into the
Interchange core itself and then you won't have to worry about
maintaining the change in future upgrades.