[ic] Interchange demo: userdb mail_list field cannot be set to empty

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Thu Nov 5 18:11:57 UTC 2009

Quoting Peter (peter at pajamian.dhs.org):
> On 11/05/2009 09:46 AM, Mike Heins wrote:
> > That would depend on your browser. If the thing is sent, it will be honored.
> > If it isn't, it can't be.
>
> It's a bit of a moot point for this discussion, but the HTML4.01
> specification does state that a checkbox must be checked to be
> submitted, and that only selected elements of a select are submitted
> (note that it actually uses the term "successful" and then later states
> that the form dataset is comprised of successful controls).  See
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#successful-controls>.

Browsers for a long time have followed this. But not all have forever.

> > In any case, if you made a patch to the account page in the main branch,
> > you need to back it out. It is not valid.
>
> Agreed, we need to find a better solution to this issue.

We have been dealing with the basic behavior for many years. You can see
accommodations to it all over Interchange. The mail list thing, probably due
to lack of use, was not done right.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.765.328.4479  <mike at perusion.com>

Unix version of an Outlook-style virus:
It works on the honor system. Please forward this message to everyone
you know, and delete a bunch of your files at random.