[ic] Interchange demo: userdb mail_list field cannot be set to empty

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Thu Nov 5 18:25:01 UTC 2009

Quoting Mike Heins (mike at perusion.com):
> Quoting Peter (peter at pajamian.dhs.org):
> > On 11/05/2009 09:46 AM, Mike Heins wrote:
> > > That would depend on your browser. If the thing is sent, it will be honored.
> > > If it isn't, it can't be.
> >
> > It's a bit of a moot point for this discussion, but the HTML4.01
> > specification does state that a checkbox must be checked to be
> > submitted, and that only selected elements of a select are submitted
> > (note that it actually uses the term "successful" and then later states
> > that the form dataset is comprised of successful controls).  See
> > <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#successful-controls>.
>
> Browsers for a long time have followed this. But not all have forever.
>

> > > In any case, if you made a patch to the account page in the main branch,
> > > you need to back it out. It is not valid.
> >
> > Agreed, we need to find a better solution to this issue.
> >

> We have been dealing with the basic behavior for many years. You can see
> accommodations to it all over Interchange. The mail list thing, probably due
> to lack of use, was not done right.

And actually, it might make sense to add another option:

    [display type="checkbox"
        name="mail_list"
        extra='title="Global unsubscribe -- if this is selected, no mail will be sent"'
        id="mail_list_check"
        options="none=Global Unsubscribe"
        ]

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.765.328.4479  <mike at perusion.com>

There's nothing sweeter than life nor more precious than time.
-- Barney