[ic] ic msaccess and dbmaker

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Fri Jul 9 09:59:30 UTC 2010

On 09/07/10 19:59, marco wrote:
> Perl beginner, an hand to make the best choice :-)
> I need to read data from msaccess and dbmaker and let be avaliable at
> the request to interchange, max 20 times a day.
> I think the best way to get not large amount of data few times a day is
> to put it into mysql db at the request only when is needed.
>
> 1) msaccess: one table, about 2 MB of data:the idea is put the mdb file
> in smb sharing, read data with DBI (ic tag, possible ?), put only new
> record to mysql, process them as need with ic pages.

see:
<http://www.icdevgroup.org/doc/icdatabase.html#How%20can%20I%20use%20Interchange%20with%20Microsoft%20Access>

> 2) dbmaker: two table, max 20 MB of data: the source database is a
>     d) from cpan:
> http://search.cpan.org/~dbmaker/DBD-DBMaker-0.13/DBMaker.pm (ok for
> remote lan host ?)

Do it this way if possible, the DBD::DBMaker docs don't show a hostname
or port option in the DSN, but try this and see if it works:
"dbi:DBMaker:database=database_name;host=hostname;port=port"

If that doesn't work then you can either try (1) a ssh tunnel to make
the db connection appear to be local, or maybe your idea of smb sharing
the files or (2) ODBC and use DBD::ODBC.

Your other ideas may have merit as well.  At the end of the day
experiment and see what works best.

Peter