[ic] ic msaccess and dbmaker

marco m.mescoli at omnib.it
Mon Jul 12 17:42:11 UTC 2010

Il 09/07/2010 11:59, Peter ha scritto:
> On 09/07/10 19:59, marco wrote:
>> Perl beginner, an hand to make the best choice :-)
>> I need to read data from msaccess and dbmaker and let be avaliable at
>> the request to interchange, max 20 times a day.
>> I think the best way to get not large amount of data few times a day is
>> to put it into mysql db at the request only when is needed.
>>
>> 1) msaccess: one table, about 2 MB of data:the idea is put the mdb file
>> in smb sharing, read data with DBI (ic tag, possible ?), put only new
>> record to mysql, process them as need with ic pages.
>
> see:
> <http://www.icdevgroup.org/doc/icdatabase.html#How%20can%20I%20use%20Interchange%20with%20Microsoft%20Access>
>
>> 2) dbmaker: two table, max 20 MB of data: the source database is a
>>      d) from cpan:
>> http://search.cpan.org/~dbmaker/DBD-DBMaker-0.13/DBMaker.pm (ok for
>> remote lan host ?)
>
> Do it this way if possible, the DBD::DBMaker docs don't show a hostname
> or port option in the DSN, but try this and see if it works:
> "dbi:DBMaker:database=database_name;host=hostname;port=port"
>
> If that doesn't work then you can either try (1) a ssh tunnel to make
> the db connection appear to be local, or maybe your idea of smb sharing
> the files or (2) ODBC and use DBD::ODBC.
>
> Your other ideas may have merit as well.  At the end of the day
> experiment and see what works best.
>

> Peter

At the end of "how many ?" day experiment ... :-)

1) msaccess: some years ago i begin to work with access and ic/mysql
like your suggestion
link:http://www.icdevgroup.org/doc/icdatabase.html#How%20can%20I%20use%20Interchange%20with%20Microsoft%20Access
Now a msaccess database gateway gets every night data from all the lan
(dbmaker, other msaccess db, text files) and put them to mysqld
collector. It works fine, day by day, in all this time.
Now i must read frequently a msaccess geo-db for gps location and put
them in a googlemaps page as kml overlay.
Must i use odbc ?  unixodbc or iodbc ?
Are there perl driver directly to mdb file without odbc ?
Anyone has suggestion with this ?

2) dbmaker first attempt with DBD-DBMaker-0.13: failed, cannot test in
too slow vpn remote smb share. Next attempt with a local copy of huge
dbmaker files ....

--
Marco "Fino alla bara sinpara"
Marco "Up to demise we rise"