[ic] Can default shipping be blank?

IC Support ic_support at mnwebdesign.com
Fri Jul 16 23:00:34 UTC 2010

Thomas J.M. Burton <tom at globalfocusdm.com> wrote:

> One of my client's catalogs is seeing an issue with non-domestic
> customers not selecting a shipping method, resulting in an order that
> uses the default shipping method (FedEx Ground, in this case).
>
> I'd like to make selection of a proper shipmode required to place an
> order, so that I can minimize the possibility of orders being place with
> an invalid shipping option. One idea I've had is to not have a default
> shipping mode and make mv_shipmode required in the order profile. I'm
> wondering if that will cause any other problems.
>
> Does anyone know if that approach will work? I'm open to other
> suggestions as well.

Sorry I can't answer that directly, but I assume you are using the
single-page checkout. If I remember correctly, I got away from that problem
by using the multi-page checkout feature. User must select Country first and
then address, before the shipping option is offered. Also you need to make
sure every Country you ship to has a shipping code in the country table.

> The catalog is running on IC 5.4.2 (yeah, I know we need to upgrade).
>

> Thanks,
> Tom

Good luck!

Curt